For a place in Reception to Year 6, you must contact the Ealing Council Admissions team. They will guide you on school availability and next steps. The criteria used is the same as the criteria stated below. If you are offered a place by Ealing Council, they will inform us and then we will contact you to finalise induction and arrange a start date. 

To apply for a Nursery space, please contact the school office to obtain an admissions form. 


Ealing Council's School Admissions Arrangements for 2023/2024

Before you apply

Please read the full details of the admissions process, applications timetable and information on Ealing schools in the high school admissions prospectus. Download the step by step guide to applying online.

How to apply

Apply online on the eadmissions website from 1 September 2023.

Post offer day guidance

Please read the high school offer guidance for information on what to do after offer day on 1 March 2024.


Admission Procedure For John Perryn Primary School 2023/24

PLEASE NOTE: The Admission criteria for Nursery Schools is the same criteria as that for Community Primary Schools.

IMPORTANT: Please note that admission to a nursery class does not guarantee admission to the main school on the nursery site. The admissions arrangements document from Ealing can be viewed here. 

The criteria listed in order of priority are:

1. Looked after children or children who were previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence, or special guardianship order

(NOTE definitions of looked after children or previously looked after children are detailed at the end of the criteria)


2. Priority admission area children with a brother or sister who will be attending the main school (not the nursery class) at the time of admission*.
3. Priority admission area children with a brother or sister who will be attending the main school (not the nursery class) on the same site at the time of admission.


The words brother and sister refer to all blood, half, foster, step and adoptive brothers and sisters (not cousins) who live at the same home and in the same family unit as the child on a permanent basis or for the majority of time in any calendar year. A sibling relationship does not apply when the older child(ren) will leave before the younger one starts.

4. Priority admission area children with exceptional medical or social circumstances. The medical circumstances must relate to the child, and parents will be expected to provide supporting evidence from a consultant who is monitoring the child’s condition (not General Practitioner {GP}) in relation to medical circumstances, or a social worker (or other appropriate professionally qualified person) in relation to social circumstances. All supporting evidence showing why priority should be given to the first preference school must be submitted at the time of application. Priority under this criterion can only be given for the first preference school.

The Admissions Panel will consider all claimed exceptional medical or social circumstances in line with admissions criteria and inform parents of their decision.

5. Priority admission area children on the basis of the distance from the child’s permanent home address to the preferred school.

The distance from home to school is measured by straight-line, from a point in the property to a point in the school determined by the grid references for the centre of the school’s postcode.

The measuring system is an integral part of the admission software produced by Tribal Technology Ltd. It uses Ordnance Survey maps and the LLPG (Local Land Property Gazetteer) and is accurate to 1 metre.

It does not mean that we will be able to allocate a place at the school nearest to your address.


6. Children living outside the priority admission area with a brother or sister who will be attending the main school (not the nursery class) at the time of admission (as in 2)
7. Children living outside the priority admission area with a brother or sister who will be attending the main school (not the nursery class) on the same site.
8. Children living outside the priority admission area with exceptional medical or social circumstances (as in 4)
9. Children living outside the priority admission area on the basis of distance from the child’s permanent home address to the preferred school (as in 5)

Any combination of two or more criteria give higher priority than one criterion. For example, a brother/sister connection and agreed medical/social circumstances would give priority over a brother/sister connection. If two or more children have equal priority under the criteria, the criterion of distance will then be applied.


A “looked after child” is a child who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of  their social services functions (see the definition in Section 22(1)of the Children Act 1989) at the time of making an application to a school.

Previously looked after children are children who were looked after, but ceased to be so because they were adopted or became subject to a residence order under the terms of the Children Act 1989 which defines a residence order as an order settling the arrangements to be made as to the person with whom the child is to live or special guardianship order under the terms of the Children Act 1989 which defines a special guardianship order as an order appointing one or more individuals to be a child’s special guardian.


In the event that the distances are equal the Local Authority’s computer system will by random allocation determine which applicant should be offered the place.


The Local Authority does not give priority under its admission criteria for twins, triplets or other children from multiple births, however, the Local Authority will admit twins and children from multiple births when one of the siblings is the thirtieth child admitted.


After the published offer date, where there is a demonstrable skills shortage for a vacant post (independent evidence is required), the admission authority will place the children of a new appointee for the post in question, at the top of the waiting list for places at the school.

Deferred and delayed entry outside normal age group to primary school


Parents do not have to ensure their child receives full-time education until the start of the term following their fifth birthday. However, parents have the right to start their child in school in the September following their fourth birthday if they feel this is best for their child. Parents also have the option to start their child on a part–time basis or defer their child’s entry.

If you decide you prefer to defer your child’s entry to the school offered, that place will be held for your child and will not be offered to another child. You would not, however, be able to defer entry beyond the beginning of the term after your child‘s fifth birthday, nor beyond the academic year for which the application was accepted. For example, if your child was born in August 2010, you will not be able to defer entry until September 2015, as this will be the start of the next academic year.

Parents wishing to defer entry need to apply by the closing date and when an offer is made the parents need to inform the Local Authority and the school that they want to defer entry or only attend school part-time.


Parents may seek places outside of their child’s normal age group. The decision is made by Admission Authorities, in the case of Community Schools it is the Council and all other schools it is the governing body of the school concerned. The decision to admit outside of their normal age group is made on the basis of the circumstances of each case.

If parents wish to apply for delayed entry into Reception, for a Community School, they need to make a request to the Head of Admissions, providing reasons for the request with supporting documentation from a professional. Requests for delayed entry into Reception for other schools would need to be made to the governing body for the school concerned.

The request should be made in the September prior to the normal entry in the following September in order to give sufficient time for the case to be considered by the Admissions Panel prior to the deadline for applications of 15 January. In the case of community schools, the Local Authority will look at the following factors, when considering the case put forward by the parent but these are not exhaustive:

  • The needs of the child and the possible impact on them of entering Year 1 without having first attended the reception class;
  • In the case of children born prematurely the fact that they may have naturally fallen into the lower age group if they had been born on their expected date of birth;
  • Whether delayed social, emotional or physical development is adversely affecting their readiness for school;
  • Any other information which the parent requests the Local Authority to consider.

If the parents case for delayed admission into reception is agreed, the application for a place in the next cohort would have to be made in the following September and would be considered along with all the other applicants for admission in that year.

There would be no guarantee that a place would able to be offered in the preferred school

If the parents request for delayed admission into reception is refused, the parents could still apply by the closing date for admission to Reception to the child’s normal age group. After the offer of a place had been made the parent could then inform the Local Authority and the school that they want to defer entry as outlined above.

Parents who are refused a place at a school for which they have applied have the right of appeal to an independent admission appeal panel. They do not have a right of appeal if they have been offered a place and it is not in the year group they would like. However, if the parents are dissatisfied with the outcome of the request for delayed entry into reception they would have the right to complain against the decision through the Council’s complaints procedure for decisions made by Council Officers or under the school’s complaints procedure where the school are the admissions authority.


If the preferred school(s) cannot offer a place the parent will have the opportunity of placing their child’s name on the waiting list(s).  The child will automatically be  placed on the waiting list for higher preferences than the school offered but if the parent wishes to be placed on the waiting list of a lower preference school the parent will need to request this on the reply slip which is sent out with the offer letter.

When vacancies arise, places will be allocated according to the oversubscription criteria. Vacancies will be offered to the pupil with the highest priority on the waiting list, not on a “first come, first served” basis. The position of a pupil on the waiting list changes frequently and can move down as well as up if other pupils having higher priority have their names added to the waiting list. Length of time on a waiting list does not give any priority. Places are offered from the waiting list if they become available.  These places cannot normally be held open and it is expected that they will be taken up almost immediately unless the child has not reached compulsory school age, has not yet started school and the parent wishes to defer entry to school.

The Community Schools in Ealing will hold waiting lists for all year groups for one academic year, after which the waiting list will cease. If parents wish for their child to continue on the waiting list after that academic year the parents will have to write in and request this.


Documentary evidence of proof of date of birth needs to be provided with the application e.g. the child’s medical card.

Proof of address

You are required to submit documentary evidence of your home address when submitting your application form. This is your permanent address where you are living with your child on the date you submit your application and the proof provided should be in the name of the applicant.

Please provide:

Your current year’s Council Tax Bill

If you do not pay Council Tax then the following may be accepted:

Letter confirming entitlement to benefits e.g. child benefit, child tax credit, housing benefit, income support or Jobseekers allowance for the current year or any new benefits which may be introduced or replace any of these.

Tenancy agreement from a registered private letting agency with 2 copies of recent bills e.g. bank/mobile/phone statement, utility bill (gas/water/electricity) or wage slip

Car Insurance

Letter from Social Services, National Asylum Support Service (NASS), United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA) or Housing Department confirming placement at your address

If you are living with friends or relatives, you will need to provide a copy of their Council Tax bill, a letter from the Council Tax payer confirming that you are residing with them for the foreseeable future and two of the documents referred to above.

If you and/or your child are living abroad but intend to move back to this country you must provide the home address in the country you are currently residing. When you can prove that you are living in the country the last date that your address can be changed before the offer date is 11th February. If you move into the country after that date your address can only be change after the offer date. In all cases, you must be living in Ealing before the new address can be used.



Ealing Council takes very seriously any attempt to obtain a school place by deception.

If we find that a school place was obtained using a false or misleading address, we will give serious consideration to withdrawing the offer, even after the child has started school. In deciding whether to withdraw the place, the length of time that the child has been at the school will be taken into account.

Temporary addresses used solely or mainly to obtain a place at a school (whilst still owning a property elsewhere) are not regarded as the permanent home address and will not be accepted. If a place is obtained by that means, the place will be withdrawn.

The Council uses our Audit and Investigation Service to investigate cases and if there is any doubt regarding the veracity of your claimed address you may be asked to provide additional information before your case is referred to this Service.
If you know someone who intends to or has used a false address to gain a school place, you can report this to the school admissions team confidentially by emailing or by calling admissions on 0208 825 6339/5511/5522. You do not need to give your name but please provide as much information as possible so that we can investigate the matter fully.


Where the parents have shared responsibility and the child is residing with one parent for the majority of the time or on a permanent basis, the address of this parent will be used for the purposes of the application.

Where parents have shared responsibility and the child lives with each parent for half of the calendar year, the parents must come to an agreement as to whose address will be used for the application. This address will be used to process the child’s application and can only be changed after the beginning of the academic year unless the address of the chosen parent changes during the admissions process. Proof of residency will be required.

In all other cases of personal or family arrangements the address of the mother will be taken as the main residence unless there is irrefutable evidence that the child lives elsewhere either full-time or for most of the year with an adult under arrangements which have been endorsed by a court.


If you move address within the London Borough of Ealing after the closing date of 15 January and are offered a place you will be entitled to retain that place if you wish.

However, if you prefer to change your preference after the closing date and apply for a different school closer to your new home address you may do so by 11 February but if you wish to change your preferences after these dates your application will be administered as a late application.

If you have recently moved into Ealing and have completed and returned a common application form between the closing date and the cut-off date of

11 February your application will be considered as on time. If you have moved from one Local Authority to another after submitting your on-time application, you may wish to let your original preferences stand or submit new preferences by the cut-off date. In either case, the application will be treated as on-time.


The cut-off date is the last date that applications are allowed to be entered onto the system and, therefore, no change of address can be considered after that date until after the offer date.

If you move address after the offer date you must be living in the property before the new address can be used and you will be required to provide evidence of your new permanent home address as detailed above and proof that you are no longer living at your previous property e.g. proof of sale by means of a solicitor’s letter or proof of termination of a tenancy agreement by means of a  letter confirming such termination from the landlord or their agent.

If you change address whilst waiting for a school place, you must be living at the address before the new address can be taken into consideration in your application and proof will be required as above.

Children of UK service personnel (UK armed forces) and Crown servants

Families of service personnel with a confirmed posting to the area, or crown servants returning from overseas to live in the Local Authority are allocated a place in advance of the family arriving in the area provided that the application is accompanied by an official letter that declares a relocation date to the area and/or a unit postal address or quartering area address.


When applying online you must attach scanned proof of address and proof your child’s date of birth (e.g. a medical card) to your online application. If you are unable to attach the documents you must send them to Main Round Admissions, Ealing Council, Perceval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing, W5 2HL or email them at

If you have completed a paper common application form you must attach the proof of address and proof of your child’s date of birth (e.g. a medical card).

In both cases if you are claiming exceptional medical or social circumstances you must attach supporting evidence of your circumstances. Please see the criteria for the school for which you are claiming exceptional circumstances to ensure that the school considers exceptional circumstances as an admission criterion and that you are providing the correct supporting evidence for consideration by the school. All evidence must be submitted at the time of application.


Reception Admissions 2023/24

Dear Parents & Carers,

RE: Reception Admissions for September 2024

Please read the information carefully as it contains instructions on how to obtain the Primary School Admissions Prospectus for Ealing Schools and how to apply. You will need to complete the online application form and provide a photocopy of proof of date of birth e.g. Passport, Child’s Birth Certificate.

The closing date for applying is 15th January 2024. Any applications received after this date will be treated by the local authority as late applications and will go to the bottom of the list.

The date of reception place offers is 16th April 2024.

During our planned open mornings, prospective pupils and parents will be able to visit our Reception classes and observe the wonderful learning experience our school provides to the pupils.

If you need any help or advice please do not hesitate to arrange an appointment to come and see me. If you are unable to attend the planned open mornings, please contact the school office to arrange a suitable time to visit.

Yours sincerely

Ms. Leah Wright
Head Teacher

Reception Admissions


EYFS Virtual Tour


High School Admissions

It is that time of year where you need to choose a high school for your child for next September. 

Local Ealing high schools will be holding open evenings where you can visit the schools with your child to talk to the teachers and pupils. I would strongly urge you to visit schools as this will help you to decide which you like the best.

The Year 6 teachers provided information at an evening parent event. If you were unable to attend, the information can be found by clicking here for Ealing schools and by clicking here for Hammersmith and Fulham schools. Should require any further support, please make an appointment at the office.